Tuesday, November 03, 2020

In Her Words: It’s Election Day!

Final conversations with women as they cast their votes.

In Her Words continues its conversations with women around the country as they cast their votes. For the full series, see: Women Could Decide the Election. Here’s How They’re Voting.

Sophie ZhouBéatrice de Géa for The New York Times

“If we don’t focus on saving the environment, there will be no future for anybody.”

— Sophie Zhou, 23, digital marketing agency employee, based in New York now, but registered to vote in Atlanta

The biggest issues for me are climate change and women’s rights. The idea that Roe v. Wade could be overturned is absolutely terrifying, and I don’t know what the future would look like without it. And, if we don’t focus on saving the environment, there will be no future for anybody — it really just comes down to that.

My parents are very much the type to assimilate in society, saying, “If we’re good, if we’re the model minority, then white people will like us.” They don’t see racism as a monster we need to fight. They see it as an outcome of who you are. So I think it was actually valuable for me to be at home in Atlanta with my parents when the Black Lives Matter movement was at its height because it opened up a conversation. Asian-Americans have never been the type to really speak out, but now we have this opportunity to follow suit and to explain to our parents that the structure of the world is not what they think it is.

Who are you voting for? Biden

How are you voting? Mail in ballot

ADVERTISEMENT

Guzin KaridesBéatrice de Géa for The New York Times

“I know that people on the left are upset by him, but generally speaking, Trump’s a lot of fun. He got people who were never involved in politics before to be engaged.”

— Guzin Karides, 54, a retired attorney, Virginia Beach

I think people will be very sad when Trump is no longer president, whether that’s after this election or in four years. I know that people on the left are upset by him, but generally speaking, Trump’s a lot of fun. He got people who were never involved in politics before to be engaged.

ADVERTISEMENT

To me, the economy is very important and I think it was doing great before all this happened. Pre-Covid, the 401(k)s were exploding. The stock market was doing great. Black poverty was down. Unemployment rates for minorities were down. I think all those things are very important to keep society happy. Considering what Trump has had to deal with, I think he did a pretty good job. There was the historic Middle East peace deal. That’s not something that just happened last month. That was years in the making, the Abraham Accords.

There are suburban women who are offended by Trump at times. And yes, he’s made mistakes. But my motto in life is: Every sinner has a future and every saint has a past, and it’s all about what direction you’re going in, you know?

Who are you voting for? Trump

How are you voting? In person, on Election Day

Eddis FelizBéatrice de Géa for The New York Times

“As a housekeeper, I made about $31,000 a year. And I paid much more in taxes than him.”

— Eddis Feliz, 51, housekeeper, Miami

I came with my mother to the U.S. from the Dominican Republic 17 years ago. I was a housekeeper at a hotel in Miami Beach.

I have felt very sad over the course of the pandemic. It has impacted us working people very significantly. The administration left us behind. I lost my job at the hotel, and then I lost my health insurance. I have a co-worker friend who contracted the coronavirus and passed away. He had no health insurance.

Here in Florida, the unemployment system was chaos. Our weekly checks are for $240. Do you imagine that $240 is enough money to live on in a place that’s as expensive as Miami? I would prefer to be working rather than having to apply for unemployment. I never asked for any sort of government assistance since I’ve been here. So filling out the unemployment application was just terrible for me.

Donald Trump, from the beginning, has tried to go after immigrants, especially with the wall he’s building on the border between the U.S. and Mexico. I came to this country because I wanted to be able to provide more for myself and my daughter, as a single mother. As soon as I got here, I went to work and I’ve been able to create a good life. I think that’s the case for most immigrants. Trump has not been sympathetic to that.

As a housekeeper, I made about $31,000 a year. And I paid much more in taxes than him. If it’s true he only paid $750, that’s ridiculous.

Who are you voting for? Biden

How are you voting? Mailed in ballot already

What else is happening

Here are four articles from The Times you may have missed.

Amara Eno for The New York Times
  • “I thought the best way to make a difference was to be a part of the system that is so problematic and to make change from the inside.” Alexandra Wilson, one of the few Black female barristers in England, is working to change the country’s legal establishment, and perceptions about who belongs in it. [Read the story]
  • “There’s this false image that I’m an angry, depressed teenager. But why would I be depressed when I’m trying to do my best to change things?” Greta Thunberg has become so firmly entrenched as an icon of ecological activism that it’s hard to believe it has been only two years since she first went on school strike to draw attention to the climate crisis. [Read the story]
  • “I’m here because my sense of helplessness has reached its peak.” Tens of thousands of women converged in Warsaw over the weekend to protest a court decision to ban nearly all abortions in Poland, intensifying what have been the largest demonstrations in the country since the fall of communism in 1989. [Read the story]
  • “It just catches some off guard that here we are. We’re not only female, but we’re Black.Meet the Ebony Anglers, a team of five Black women rising and winning in the mostly white, mostly male world of competitive fishing. [Read the story]

The Daily: Live Election Day Broadcast

Manhattan polling station on election day.Hiroko Masuike/The New York Times

Dozens of Times journalists will break down what’s happening live at the polls, inside campaigns and in key battleground states.

You can tune into the live broadcast from 4-8 p.m. E.S.T. and on the The New York Times iPhone app.

In Her Words is written by Alisha Haridasani Gupta and edited by Francesca Donner. Our art director is Catherine Gilmore-Barnes, and our photo editor is Sandra Stevenson.

Did someone forward you this email? Sign up here to get future installments. Write to us at inherwords@nytimes.com. Follow us on Instagram at @nytgender.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for In Her Words from The New York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

instagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home