Thursday, October 29, 2020

In Her Words: How Will You Vote?

Women from across the country talk about what's top of mind as they cast their votes.
Béatrice de Géa for The New York Times

“To characterize the women’s vote as if it stands for a single ideology or agenda would be too simplistic.”

— Kelly Dittmar, director of research at the Center for American Women and Politics

ADVERTISEMENT

If President Trump loses his re-election bid, female voters will probably have played a critical role.

No nominee for either party has ever garnered as much female support as the Democratic nominee, Joseph R. Biden Jr., according to exit polls and data tracked by the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University.

Of major concern among female voters this year is the president’s conduct, as well as his handling of the pandemic, according to a range of polls. Even on issues that Mr. Trump has more readily owned, women tend to prefer Mr. Biden: He has emerged as their choice to handle the economy.

In one of the most striking dynamics of the 2020 race, polls indicate that while the gap between male and female voters may be at its widest point ever, the longstanding racial divide among female voters might be narrowing: Women of color have long skewed Democratic, but now white women seem to be leaning toward Mr. Biden as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

As for women who support Mr. Trump, they tend to score higher on scales of “racial resentment,” said Kelly Dittmar, director of research at the Center for American Women and Politics, and they tend to worry about law and order in greater numbers.

But “to characterize the women’s vote as if it stands for a single ideology or agenda would be too simplistic,” Ms. Dittmar said. “We would rarely make the same characterization for men.”

In Her Words interviewed women from across the country about how they’ll vote. Many of the women interviewed are voting in battleground states where the presidential contest is close, as are the down-ballot races. We will share their views in the run-up to Election Day.

Béatrice de Géa for The New York Times

Katie Mazzocco

34, a small-business owner, Pittsburgh

“A united, loving nation — no matter what your skin color is, no matter what your gender is, no matter what any of it is — is what I’m fighting for from bed with Covid.”

Who are you voting for?

Biden

How are you voting?

By mail

I got Covid on March 11. Before Covid, I didn’t have health problems. I walked a mile or two a day. I’m mom to 10-year-old twins; one of them has special needs, and I was always super busy advocating for them and running my own company. Then it all screeched to a halt. I’ve been sick and completely bed-bound since March 11. I’ve had some symptoms go away and a lot of new ones show up. Long term, nobody can tell me if I’ll ever be much better again.

My husband is a schoolteacher. So luckily, he was off over the summer to help care for me. Now, in the fall, his school district decided that, for the first nine weeks, they would do virtual, but that timeline is starting to run out. I have heart problems now, lung problems and really significant neurological problems — so any bug he might bring home could kill me.

I already had so many issues with President Trump before the pandemic — foreign policy, environmental policy, L.G.B.T.Q. issues and the Muslim travel ban. But, for me, now living with Covid, I think it’s crazy the way that he’s gambling with people’s lives.

I’m doing everything I can from bed: I’m calling senators. I’m calling Congress people. I’m signing petitions. I’ve text banked. I’ve probably texted 10,000 people from bed. I’ve written over 300 postcards and letters. A united, loving nation — no matter what your skin color is, no matter what your gender is, no matter what any of it is — is what I’m fighting for from bed with Covid.

Béatrice de Géa for The New York Times

Rebecca Gregory

50, a nurse, Roseville, Mich.

“I think most Trump supporters look at him and cringe when they hear him speak. But his overall stance and the direction he wants the country to go in, that I approve of.”

Who are you voting for?

Trump

How are you voting?

In person

The majority of my vote has gone Republican or libertarian, though I did vote for Obama twice. I wasn’t impressed with Obama. I was happy to see some of the social aspects, like gay marriage and more support for Planned Parenthood, but as far as his foreign policy, he basically walked away from the Middle East. And when Obama started criticizing law enforcement and dividing the country, that’s when he really lost me. He just caused such a racial divide within the country.

Law enforcement is important to me. My husband is a court officer. We have to worry about our safety now. He stopped going to the gas station in uniform because he doesn’t want to be a target. We don’t go anywhere to eat after work unless he’s had time to change because we don’t want to get comments. I’ve heard people yell “pig” at him, “thug” and “skinhead.”

I’m satisfied with what Trump has done in his first term. I’m not always satisfied with his public speaking. I think most Trump supporters look at him and cringe when they hear him speak. But his overall stance and the direction he wants the country to go in, that I approve of. As for his taxes, everyone takes their taxes to an accountant for the exact purpose of paying as little taxes as possible. Why would he be any different? You can’t fault the man; you have to fault the tax laws.

What else is happening

Here are four articles from The Times you may have missed.

Kerry Washingtonvia Argent
  • “I’m going to show up, and you are going to see me.” There’s a new political fashion statement in town, just in time for the election. Should you wear it? [Read the story]
  • “Sexual aggression is a constant for women somms.” The wine world’s most elite circle, the Court of Master Sommeliers, has a sexual harassment problem. [Read the story]
  • “The first trickle of progress.” The antitrust lawyer Lina Kahn discusses how and why she’s taking on the most powerful men in Silicon Valley. [Listen to the podcast]
  • “Every day I’d come to work and find another one is gone.” Staffers at a nursing home speak out about the fear, the risks, the intensity, the camaraderie. [Read the story]

In Her Words is edited by Francesca Donner. Our art director is Catherine Gilmore-Barnes, and our photo editor is Sandra Stevenson.

Did someone forward you this email? Sign up here to get future installments. Write to us at inherwords@nytimes.com. Follow us on Instagram at @nytgender.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for In Her Words from The New York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

instagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home